Use Rewordify to Make Texts More Readable


I love TCEA!  I'm always picking up tips, tricks, and resources from them. Rewordify is a wonderful website that takes any text and "rewordifys" it by replacing higher level vocab with more common synonyms.  The new version has all replacements highlighted.  You can select at which reading level you'd like the site to "rewordify", also.  That way, you can customize the results for your class or student.
But that's not all!  It also provides the list of vocabulary terms that were "rewordify-ed" and let's you play games, make flashcards, or take a quiz.

save image
Check out my example of the Gettysburg Address "rewordify-ed"

I would use this with my class while doing research.  For example, if a student finds an article that is difficult to read, you can "rewordify" it and display on the board.  Discuss the replacements and synonyms with the class.  Ask what other words could have been used to make the text easier to read.  Ask if any of the replacements change the connotation and mood of the text.  I would have older students add this to a bookmark list so that they can use it independently.  Teach them how to adjust the reading level so that they get texts more adjusted to their level.  Tons of possibilities, and it's free with NO ads!

I'll probably use this myself when reading dense articles.  No shame, right?

Comments