DIY Coordinate Plane Mat for Sphero SPRK+ and Sphero Mini

This is my first prototype for a coordinate plane (Cartesian graph) floor mat that we can use with math and science classes. I've already got plans to alter this design, but it definitely works!

What I used:
1 large square of craft material, purchased at Walmart ($3)
Painters tape, several rolls
White craft paint 
Sponge-tipped stencil brushes ($3)
Square template (I used a plastic cone base)

I already had the paint, tape, and plastic cone. I bought the other supplies from the Walmart craft department.

What I did:
Lay out craft material over newspaper or cardboard to protect floor/table

Use painters tape to mark off a grid 
 (I used a plastic cone with a square base to help me space my tape)


Paint over the tape with craft paint
Cover entire surface of grid with paint and let dry
Remove tape to reveal grid lines

What I learned:

  • It took me about 3.5 hours to tape and paint the grid, with short breaks for paint to dry
  • I bought the cheapest craft material at Walmart ($1.97 per yard), and it works just fine
  • With thin material, you won't be able to have a double-sided mat - paint bleeds through

Comments