A new chapter!


In the last two weeks, I've begun an exciting new chapter in my life, personally and professionally. In my work life, I've started a new job as a campus-based digital learning coach in a district that is much larger than any I've ever been with.  This job is also two hours away from my house, so I'll be living apart from my husband during the work week.  So far, we are working it out with a little stress but lots of patience.

As a young adult, I remember struggling to envision a future for myself where I would be independent and adventurous. I'm anxious by nature, and I used to think that my fear and anxiety would hold me back forever. Well, I still get anxious and worried, but I'm pushing myself to go out of my comfort zone, to really try to grow as a person.

We ask our students to learn, to exert effort to try to understand new concepts and processes. As educators, we need to model the same growth mindset that we expect. Likewise, I ask my teachers to take up the sometimes challenging task of integrating technology into instruction. It's good to remember that new things and new ways of working are daunting to many. I must have the same patience and understanding for them as I have for myself.

Here's to the future!

A few very small accomplishments that have felt huge for me in the past weeks:

  • Navigating a new place without getting terribly lost.
  • Meeting lots of new people.
  • Driving through the heart of Houston during rush hour.

Comments